HemaClear – All-in-One Exsanguination Device
HemaClear® Tourniquets enable OR personnel to obtain a bloodless surgical field within seconds, without the need for any additional equipment.
HemaClear® Single-Use Surgical Tourniquets uniquely combines two key functions:
- Shifting blood from an extremity (exsanguination)
- Creating an effective arterial block (tourniquet)
HemaClear® Tourniquets enable OR personnel to obtain a bloodless surgical field within seconds, without the need for any additional equipment. Studies have shown that the use of HemaClear® Sterile Tourniquets dramatically reduces post-procedure complications.
HemaClear® Tourniquets are available in a wide range of sizes, for both upper and lower extremities, and they fit any patient – from infants to obese adults. The narrow footprint of the device provides the surgeon with the broadest surgical field, promoting an improved surgical exposure. HemaClear® is simple to use and reduces OR clutter.
Solutions Prior to the Arrival of HemaClear®
Until the appearance of HemaClear® 2 methods were used to achieve exsanguination of the limb:
- Exsanguination achieved with the Esmarch Bandage + Blood Occlusion via a Regular Tourniquet
- Exsanguination achieved with the Esmarch Bandage + Blood Occlusion via a Pneumatic Tourniquet
Deficiencies of Existing Solutions
MAXIMAL EXSANGUINATION IS NEEDED TO PREVENT PULMONARY & CEREBRAL EMBOLIZATION. Partial exsanguination is inherent in the traditional Esmarch/PneumaticTourniquet method.
RISKS OF INCOMPLETE EXSANGUINATION (<67%):
- Pulmonary Emboli (PE)*: Blood left behind results in clots and intravascular clotting and often occurs during surgery where a tourniquet is used. When the tourniquet is deflated, blood clots migrate to the heart and lungs, leading to risk of brain infarcts, e.g. post TKA Cognitive Dysfunction. Near perfect exsanguination by HemaClear® largely prevents embolization.
Cerebral Emboli & Infarction: Small emboli block small arteries, reducing or preventing blood flow to brain regions, followed by small infarctions, resulting mostly in cognitive dysfunction.
(*Thromboembolism Coincident with Tourniquet Deflation During Total Knee Arthroplasty. Lancet. 1993 Apr 24;341(8852):1057-8)
- Post operative side effects: Risk of post-op DVT, skin injury – tourniquet burn (20.7%), tourniquet pain (39.7%), and nerve damage.
STERILITY ISSUES: Increased risk of Surgical Site Infection (SSI). Non-Sterile Pneumatic Tourniquets are Contaminated – A Potential Cause of SSI. Sterile HemaClear® is 100% safe.
REDUCED ACCESSIBILITY – WIDE CUFF: Reduced access, especially in obese limb or pediatric cases and limited anatomical visibility during surgery
SIDE EFFECTS DUE TO PRESSURE ON TISSUES: Traditional wide cuffs produce increased uniform pressure inside the limb vs. the HemaClear® narrow cuff where axial and radial pressure gradients result in less force on inner tissue.
INEFFICIENCIES: Increased preparation and setup time = less procedures, high cost derivative, and OR clutter.
- Time wasted: Traditional methods require 12 minutes of patient setup time vs. 15 seconds with HemaClear® application
- Inefficiency and aggregate cost of multiple products used during a procedure that employs the pneumatic tourniquet vs. the single-use sterile HemaClear® device.
- OR clutter and shelf space incurred by the pneumatic tourniquet method is eliminated by HemaClear®.
- Bloodless, dry surgical field – avoids risks of incomplete exsanguination
- Improved anatomical visibility
- Reduced incidence of post-op DVT
- Reduced incidence of pulmonary embolism
- Reduces blood loss, resulting in decreased need for blood transfusion
|PRH-028-PI-01A||HemaClear Pink||10 units/box|
|PRH-040-GR-01A||HemaClear Green||10 units/box|
|PRH-040-RE-01A||HemaClear Red||10 units/box|
|PRH-040-YE-01A||HemaClear Yellow||10 units/box|
|PRH-060-BR-01A||HemaClear Brown||10 units/box|
|PRH-060-OR-01A||HemaClear Orange||10 units/box|
|PRH-090-BW-01A||HemaClear Black/White||10 units/box|